An interesting and functional design is achieved not only through repairs – the correct selection of furniture plays an important role. In this article, we have collected all information on the use of kitchen nooks with a sleeping place for a small kitchen: photos, recommendations for selection, examples of placement in the interior. We are sure you will find a lot of useful information.
Why you need it: advantages and disadvantages
At first glance, the idea of equipping an additional place to sleep in the kitchen may seem ridiculous – too polar concepts. On the other hand, sometimes this is the optimal solution to the problem of lack of free space: in a studio kitchen, such a technique will help free up the room for other furniture.
But in ordinary apartments, a sleeping place is often not superfluous: who is not familiar with the problem of suspicious guests who need to be put somewhere?
As you can see, such a kitchen corner has its advantages over a conventional, non-folding one. Additional pros and cons (which, unfortunately, were not without) depend on the specific model – manufacturers offer you two radically different types. Let’s take a closer look?
1. System “dolphin” is very popular for use in small kitchens, living rooms. Standard at first glance the corner turns into a real sofa, just pull out the retractable soft bottom block.
In fact, kitchen furniture transforms into a comfortable bed, and when folded does not take up much space. If it were not for the high price of most models, this option would be considered ideal.
Unexpected bonus: “Dolphin” is almost always equipped with spacious drawers in which you can store bed linen. In small apartments, this is very useful.
2. More budget option – “French” folding sofa. It is also less convenient as a permanent sleeping place, but it is suitable for occasional use.
When folded, the structure does not take up much space: three sections are hidden in the frame, and if necessary, simply pull on the strap to slide them out.
Due to design features most often French clamshells are made straight, which is not always convenient, consider this when buying. You also have to do without storage boxes – there is nowhere to place them.
How to choose
To ensure that your purchase does not disappoint you, it is not enough to choose the right model. You will have to take into account some more parameters:
- 1. Primarily take measurements, so as not to be mistaken with the dimensions. It is important not only to calculate the correct size of the corner – you also have to take into account the space for the passages (optimally 70-90 centimeters). In addition, the sofa should be placed so as not to block access to the refrigerator, oven, cupboards.
- 2. If you plan to regularly turn the corner into a sleeping place, massive tables will have to be abandoned. A folding table-panel is most suitable, which is attached to the wall when folded.
- 3. Don’t get carried away by sophisticated designer sofas – in a small kitchen, they seem overly massive. Choose a model without decor and armrests.
- 4. Think about the purposes for which you need a sleeping place: if you plan to offer it to guests once a year, you can buy a simple option, but for regular use you will have to choose one that you will comfortably sleep on for a long time.
- five. A room with an unconventional layout? It is better not to take risks and order the services of a professional measurer – it is not too expensive, but it will save you from unpleasant surprises at the assembly stage.
- 6. Look at what the product is made of: MDF is preferable for the frame (it is stronger than chipboard). The light upholstery will most likely have to be abandoned – it is too easily soiled, in the kitchen it is impractical. However, if this does not scare you … The optimal material for upholstery will be leather or its imitation, dense fabric.
- 7. Do not try to save money by buying furniture of an unknown brand – contact trusted manufacturers who can provide you with quality certificates.
- 8. And, of course, the chosen kitchen corner should be in harmony with the overall interior.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated – the main thing is to follow some rules. Happy choice!
In the interior
Having dealt with the issues of functionality and convenience, we propose to move on to the most interesting – how kitchen nooks with a sleeping place look in a small kitchen.
We bring to your attention several interesting options.
If you are lucky and the kitchen has a bay window, the problem with the sleeping place is solved: put a corner there. Thus, it will be possible to create a real sleeping area – an excellent option for decorating a studio apartment with a non-standard layout.
An original approach in terms of design and functionality: order not a dining table, but a pair of side tables to match the sofa. Of course, not everyone will like this move. But if you don’t need a dining room, why not?
If you need to expand the corner, you can easily move the bedside tables to the side, without disturbing the harmony in the room.
Does this approach seem too radical? Get a light table that is easy to rearrange – you are unlikely to enjoy moving massive furniture every night.
Please note: Some table models make it unnecessary for you to reposition regularly. Just fold it down and space is free! True, for those who are used to putting small things on any horizontal surface, this option is hardly suitable.
Is your kitchen very modest in size and is it problematic to put a corner there? French folding beds are different: when folded it is a small armchair, and when unfolded it is a real bed. A good solution if you sleep alone.
In short, choosing the right kitchenette with a sleeping place for a small kitchen is easy – we hope our article will help you with this!